|seperis (seperis) wrote,|
@ 2012-07-28 04:37 pm UTC
|Entry tags:||crosspost, mediatomb, my relationship with electronics|
2.) To compensate, we are on Day 4 of The Internal Server Error Festival at work. So far, this is what we have learned:
a.) no one knows why they are happening, or more terrifying, why they aren't when logic--oh rapture--dictates they should have.
b.) they don't always display as a giant white Internal Sever Error page.
Here's where things became weird.
After entering info in a text box, the page autopopulates three other text boxes below it at the top of the page. Mysteriously, when loading stopped, nothing was autopopulated, but to the right of my text boxes, in the smooth, completely featureless white space, was a line of what looked like the first fifty characters of an doctype declaration for html, followed by the html tag and head tag on line two, and enclosed in title tags, the words 500 Internal Server Error.
If I selected the first line and scrolled down, an entire html markup was hidden in there up to closing html tags.
3.) I did not know one could be coding blocked. It's like writers block, but even worse, because for me, it comes with an obsessive need to keep making it worse. I finally pulled apart my Mediatomb sorting code and got alphabetization to work, albeit not the most graceful looking code (it is so ugly and so repetitious it makes me want to cry), but it works and autosorts all my TV show folders and movies into alphabetical containers because dude, I have about 2T of movies, videos, and TV shows and scrolling through those on my bluray player's very pretty interface was freaking slow.
Okay, you probably dont know this about me, but I'm really anal about organization. This is where it all went wrong.
As of 2007 and having to buy a new computer so I could finish my final C++ assignment (and recover a virused hard drive the really old fashioned way, with taking it out and using an enclosure after intensive refrigeration), my laptop became a bastion of hideously rigid organization so in emergency recoveries I would never be left in the terrifying uncertainty of having to grab folders from multiple locations in a very brief time. All I need to save at any given time is on one partitioned drive and is limited to documents, folders, and settings. All my media on my laptop is immediately mirrored to my server within a week of download, and I only keep what I'm watching right now on my laptop to save space, so at any given time even at catastrophic hard drive failure, the most I lose is my latest youtube downloads and everything I download I put into a private playlist on youtube so I can find it again.
This sounds good, and for backup it is. But that means a folder system of exacting and kind of creepy specificity at all times, and I subdir like a lifestyle choice so I can be sure if I'm looking for something specific, even if I don't remember the file name, I can pinpoint the folder it's in and figure it out from there. For vids, this is pretty much all I have to work with sometimes.
For all my media, there are seven primary container: Television, Movies, Vids (fannish), Music Vids (official ones from youtube that I liked), Clips, Trailers (I really love trailers), and Parody, which is a catch all for anything I don't know what to do with but I like watching (LED Sheep Art are an example). Television is broken down by show, then season, movies are broken down by BBC, Documentaries, Mini Series, and Theatrical Release (subdirectoried by movie series, aka Star Trek), Vids by fandom, clips by show/movie, Mini Series by show, and the rest don't need subcategories. Again, good for organization, not good for putting up on a DLNA and having to choose between endless lists of stuff and scrolling forever or way too many folders for like, five videos.
Setting everything into alphabetical containers when they appear on the interface seemed like a good idea, but after I got it done and enjoyed the beauty. It's like this right now.
What I want is that and this.
For reasons that do not need exploring at this juncture that include music having metadata to work with, the default Audio sort can place a single file in multiple containers easily. So you can have this.
So I kind of hate Audio's default for being much, much better at this, but having metadata is freaking magic, apparently.
Oh God, air conditioning, never leave me again. For the record, it's magic.